Monday 21 November 2016

Maybelline Pumpkin Spice Baby Lips Lip Balm

Pumpkins. I know Halloween is a bit of a distant memory, but regardless of the time of year, I bloody love pumpkins. I'm not exactly sure what it is about them. Maybe it's the fact that they remind me of fairy-tales... or that they're a similar colour to my hair... or even that they only come about for a short period each year, and that makes them just feel kind of special. Either way, anyone who knows me personally will tell you I'm obsessed with these big bulbous veggies. So, when I saw this little bad boy in the shops, you can safely say my heart skipped a beat... Let me introduce you to Maybelline's (holiday special) Pumpkin Spice Baby Lips lip balm.



As cult as they seem to have become, I've never tried one of Maybelline's baby lips balms before. There's no particular reason for that, but I'll admit that I can be pretty lazy when it comes to lip balm... For this one though, I think I can make an exception. In terms of packaging, I can tell you now it's love. The colour of the main part of the packaging is (not surprisingly) orange, with a clear lid adorned with tiny little pumpkins! The lid is also decorated with some leaves too, which gives things a real autumnal feel. I know not everyone gets on with the baby lips packaging due to it seeming a little juvenile and because it's plastic, but I think for £2.99 it fills it's purpose pretty darn well. I find it has a very satisfying 'click' when it shuts and it feels really sturdy. I also find the font of the 'baby lips' part of the packaging really cute, it reminds me of graffiti or bubble writing from school!



One of the biggest claims of this lip balm has to be that it keeps your lips moisturised for 8 hours, and I feel that's where I have to burst the bubble just a bit with this product. This is a huge claim for any product, and I found that this balm in particular only lasted between 1-2 hours on the lips before feeling like you're not wearing any balm anymore. After this time though, my lips do feel a hell of a lot less 'dry' than had I not worn any balm in the first place, and it definitely helps to keep them feeling hydrated for a couple of hours after it's worn off of your lips. So, if we add in the time after the balm has worn off where your lips still feel soft, that's at least 4 hours of moisturisation - which I will happily take considering the price.



This product comes with a simple twist up balm that looks quite solid to begin with, but upon applying to your lips I was pleasantly surprised by how it melts on like butter - it feels like an absolute dream. I'm not even kidding when I say that this stuff makes your lips feel like satin when you rub them together. It's definitely enough to have you reapplying all day, before we even get on to the scent, which although I didn't really find very 'pumpkin' like - is really nice. The smell is almost fruity in a way, with some seeming hints of coconut and a spicy warmth that makes you think of cosy Autumn nights. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm glad it's not too overpowering, Pumpkins don't really smell that great on their own anyway, to be fair!



My overall verdict is really positive for this one guys, and not just because I'm biased towards orange veg... The scent, the packaging, the results and the price ticked all the right boxes for me, and the sheer wash of colour it leaves on your lips was a really pleasant surprise too (I have to be honest, I wasn't holding my breath). I was hoping it would give me a nice coral/orange wash of pumpkinesque colour for fall, and I think it did that really quite nicely. It could almost pass as a glossy, subtle nude lip! If you like the sound of this balm, Maybelline's Baby Lips holiday range also includes a Vanilla Cupcake and a Chai Tea Latte flavour. And if you fancied all 3? Superdrug even have a 3 for 2 offer on at the moment. You're welcome! :)



If you like the sound of this product, you can buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment